The EQAO, Ontario’s testing body, reports that kids who read for pleasure do better in reading and writing tests.
- Even just one hour a week of reading for pleasure boosts test results
- About 80 per cent of students who met EQAO reading levels in Grade 3 and Grade 6 and who went on to pass the Grade 10 literacy test, were reading for fun for more than an hour. Of those, 46 per cent who made the grade werereading three hours or more.
- Students who met the standard in reading in Grades 3 and 6 and were successful in Grade 10 were two and a half times more likely to be engaged in reading for enjoyment.
- What kids read for enjoyment does not matter — anything from novels to graphic novels to poetry — it’s something for enjoyment that makes a difference at school.
- There needs to be a more of a focus on the love of reading and the joy of reading